Applying for a driving license in India is a significant step towards personal mobility and road safety. In this guide, we will provide you with valuable information on applying for driving licenses in India, including crucial aspects like bike insurance, two-wheeler insurance calculator, renewing bike insurance, and making bike insurance claims.
How Does One Go About Applying For A Driving Licence In India?
To legally ride a bike on Indian highways, a driving license is a must, and new drivers often need motor driving school training as the initial step.
What Are The Kinds Types Of Driving Licences In India?
In India, applications are accepted for two types of driver’s licences:
Personal Use Licence
The basis for which individuals can apply for the desired type of licence varies depending on the applicant and his or her requirements. The type of vehicle determines which licence is issued. They include two-wheelers without gears, two-wheelers with gears, cars and so on.
Licence For Commercial Use
Commercial licenses are required for both light and heavy motor vehicles in India. There are more than 11 different types of licenses available, covering vehicles like delivery vans, taxis, trailers, and others.
Qualifications For Two-Wheeler Licence Applications
- Motorcycles With Gear: To obtain a motorcycle license with gear in India, applicants must be at least 18 years old, understand traffic laws, and provide official proof of age and address.
- Motorcycles Without Gear: To get a license for motorcycles without gear in India, 16-year-olds need parental/guardian consent and must understand traffic laws.
- Heavy Commercial Vehicles: To apply for a heavy commercial motor vehicle license in India, you must be at least 18 years old, have government training or training from an affiliated centre, and have completed at least the eighth grade.
Apply For A Bike Licence: Process
To start the offline process for a driving license in India, visit the RTO office to collect the necessary application form, either Form 1 for a learner’s license or Form 4 for a permanent license. Alternatively, you can download the forms from the State Transport Office’s website. Complete the form, submit it along with the required documents, and a driving test appointment will be scheduled. Passing the driving test is essential to obtain the license.
The steps listed below are for the online process:
- Go to the parivahan.gov website.
- Choose the “Driving Licence Related Services” tab.
- Select the state from which you wish to apply for a driving licence. Click the “Apply for Driving Licence” button.
- Fill out the form and attach scanned copies of your documentation.
- Pay the application fee now.
- Make time for the DL test.
- Please show up for the test on the designated day
Alongside this process, understanding the significance of bike insurance, utilising a two-wheeler insurance calculator for proper coverage, renewing bike insuranceas needed, and being aware of how to make bike insurance claims is vital. Ensuring you are well-informed and compliant with all the necessary regulations will not only keep you on the right side of the law but also protect you and your bike on the road.*
* Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.